After my joints broke since my last blog post. I decided to use the plans i had as a guide, and design my own cabinets. After a couple weeks of thinking about it here and there, getting some new wood from a real lumber yard and letting it dry out. This is what i came up with.
all cabinets are 30 in. wide inside. So, 34” overall width.
1 of 2 small cabinet units.
1 of 2 large tower cabinet units.
I am a little disappointed in how much flex or racking exists in the towers. The smaller units are rock solid. But both towers will sway quite a bit. prolly 1-3 inches. I am putting a back on all of them as you can see in one of the pics. Im fitting the back to it. So that will make it solid. The towers are VERY strong though. Im 210 lbs, as a test, i put both my hands together int he middle of that 30” top shelf, and hung on it. Not even a creak! And thats without the back too. As far as i can tell it wasn’t flexing either. So mission accomplished in the downward force area.
All lumber is 2×4 and 2×6 lumber that i jointed and planed to 1.25” thick. This cleaned up the wood a lot and made it look nice. The 2×4’s were really rough looking. The 2×6 though were pretty nice for the most part. But they still looked better after i jointed and planed. The quality of the wood was also pretty good. Most the wood hardly moved at all over the last 2 months since i bought it. So there is some truth to buying from a real lumber yard.
All the joints are Kreg joints. I really like my kreg jig. The posts are 2 pieces glued and screwed together using my kreg jig. What i wasn’t expecting is how hard it is to attach the boards perfectly flush with each other. I ended up buying a belt sander from harbor freight which made quick work of leveling them out. My glue (tightbond III) was also drying very fast. Thats one thing about phoenix that i don’t like. My paint and glue etc dries extremely quickly.
This whole project is taking a lot longer then i expected. Planing and jointing the wood takes a lot of time. Though i feel its worth it as the end product is a lot nicer looking and things tend to line up better. I am a little disappointed though on the platforms. I’m having hard time cutting the plywood exactly to fit. Sometimes to big, sometimes to small. When its too big i use the belt sander to level it out, but the problem with that is its very difficult to maintain a perfect flat 90 degree surface which ends up showing up when i put the units together. My table saw isn’t big enough so i have to use straight edges, which takes a while to line up. I think my next purchase might be a larger table saw.
Overall im pleased how its turning out considering its my first wood working project.