I learned an important lesson here today. Wood shrinks, especially when you expose end grain and drill holes in it.
I decided on this project that it would be easier if i just batch created parts. It would be less setup and less hassle. So i resawed a couple 2×4’s down to 1” thick x 2-9/16” wide and 5-11/16” long. Drilled my 3 holes per the instructions of the plan and threw it in a box. I only work on the weekends for the most part, so it took me about 2 weekends to get the 100 blocks cut and drilled. I had to build a jig etc in there as well.
On to creating the platform supports. These are simply 2×4s cut to 2” wide and either 16-3/4” or 23-3/4” long with a 1/2” rabbet in them. I created enough to do the 2 tower units in the plan.
You can see a pic below of what the platforms look like with everything labeled.
Now to assembly. Lined up the 2 boards, put glue on the corner block and drove in the screw…only that didnt work. I couldn’t hold the board tight enough, the screw didnt bring the boards together tight enough and it was just a plain mess. When i did finally get a platform put together, i put a square to it and guess what, not square. Come to find out, my corner blocks had shrunk, and they were slightly off 45 degrees, maybe 43-44 degrees, and also were 1/32” thinner. Shoot me now, pretty much every one of the 100 i made were no good!!! Lesson learned, build them as you need them.
So i created just enough for 6 platforms and assembled them. Long story short i ended up creating what you see below, using a rockler square that i just bought and some clamps so i could get nice tight joints. I also created a mini post to push everything up against in the square.
And, all done, you can also see a piece of a shelf sitting in the platform. Its not attached as the plans dont say to attach them. So i assume they just sit in the rabbets. I also havent cut the corners on the shelf yet.