New Yankee Blanket Chest #8: Put a lid on it

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by HungryTermite posted 01-15-2011 04:05 AM 1183 reads 0 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 7: Got Leg? Part 8 of New Yankee Blanket Chest series Part 9: Almost Finished »

I had to purchase additional wood for the top because after 8 months in my garage the construction pine I purchased was warped too badly to use. So I got it all planed and jointed and then I decided I needed more practice with tongue and groove joints so I cut them on the table saw for the long edges as well as the breadboard ends. They were the best ones yet! I have a tough time getting the tongues the right length so there is no gap so this time I left the tongues a hair longer and used my low angle block plane to trim them down until they were just right. It seems to work out pretty well and I wish I had done that for the rest of the project.

Here is the top clamped for gluing on the breadboard ends. I eventually added a few more clamps after this photo.

Once this dries I will trim it to size and see what it looks like sitting on top!

-- Good Judgement Comes From Experience. Experience Comes From Bad Judgement.

1 comment so far

View ShopTinker's profile


884 posts in 2190 days

#1 posted 01-15-2011 06:14 AM

Nice choice of grain patterns, looks nice.

-- Dan - Valparaiso, Indiana, "A smart man changes his mind, a fool never does."

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics