The router lift is finished. I used plans from John Heisz and they are just superb. The plans include detail drawings with dimensions for each part, good explanations for the assembly and a Sketchup file that allows you to explore the design and see how everything works together. The completed lift works very smoothly – I can’t wait to put it to use.
First, some pictures of the lift before installation. It’s just sitting on top of my current router table.
Here are pictures after installation. I have not screwed the lift to the supports yet.
The only changes of note that I made from the plans were to reverse the middle piece with the angled slot in it so that turning the crank clockwise would raise the bit – this matches what I’m used to with my table saw. I also imbedded an 3/8” nut inside two pieces of oak and omitted the t-nut the plans call for. Should have made a picture of this but, sorry, I didn’t. I just used a chisel to carve out the shape of the nut in one piece, glued it in with some thick ca glue, then glued the other piece of oak on. I think it’ll be there for a while.
I still have to make a new table top. Once that’s done I’ll verify that the bit is properly aligned and screw the lift to the supports. The router is new and will be dedicated to the table. No more removing my Porter Cable plunge router whenever I need do work off the table. The new one was purchased from Harbor Freight using one of their % off coupons and it looks good…very good considering the price – $37.50 plus freight.
Next up will be the new table top. I’m getting anxious to complete this project but the construction of a new 12×16 storage shed next Monday may get in the way.
-- Time is what keeps everything from happening all at once.