This was supposed to be part #2 but it’s #1. See #2 for the back story on my router table.
The first improvement to my router table was the fence. I have a bunch of mdf that’s been in the shop for years so that’s what I used. I know, not the best material for a project like this. But, my fence was a hodgepodge of ideas and I built it with no plans and just guessed at the measurements. IF it doesn’t hold up at least I’ll have a better idea of what I’d like next time. Here’s what it looks like:
It has a split face which will be used for zero clearance cuts and will be replaceable. A t-track was installed just above the sliding fences.
Dust collection is important to me so I’m using a 4” hose to the left end of the fence, which has a 4×4 opening all the way through it. The existing 4” hose into the box can still be used.
I plan to experiment with various methods of closing the right end for optimum dust collection at the bit. I may end up with something adjustable here that can be changed to suit the job at hand.
The fence has a micro adjustment via a 1/4×20 threaded rod on the back with a crank handle. Just loosening the knob in middle allows for the fine adjustments. Coarse adjustments are made by loosing a knob on each end of the base and sliding the whole base.
Using the fence will tell me if it’s what I was looking for. If not, I’ll just build another one. :)
Next up is the router lift. I’ve purchased John Heisz’s plans for this from ibuildit.ca.
-- Time is what keeps everything from happening all at once.