LumberJocks

Thien Baffle on the fly project

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by Holbs updated 05-29-2014 12:12 AM 6 parts 11298 reads 32 comments total

Part 1: day 1

02-23-2014 02:08 AM by Holbs | 2 comments »

And so.. my personal Thien Baffle challenge begins. 1/2” MDF (i have 2 of these 4×8’ sheets..might as well use them). First time ever working on MDF with a power tool. To date… MDF 1, Eric 0 for dust control.This baffle will sit on top of a 55 gallon plastic drum, be 12” high (to allow more separation and swirling action), and same as many other Thien Baffles out there with a couple differences: 1.) I used a 45 degree chamfer bit on the outer lip to give f...

Read this entry »


Part 2: day 2

02-24-2014 05:43 AM by Holbs | 3 comments »

I decided to change the height of my Thien Baffle to 16”. Why? Because the HVAC hoods I have seen so far have a rapid structure change from circular to rectangle, I have a 3HP dust collector (which is unknown if a Thien Baffle can even handle a 3HP), and when you step on a 6” spiral duct you can come to 8” high and 4.5” wide oval which should be good enough. 8” x 2 = 16”.While at the Home Depot, I bought hardboard, and 1/2” pipe insulation. I am u...

Read this entry »


Part 3: day 3

03-02-2014 04:50 AM by Holbs | 7 comments »

I purchased the 1/16” lexan poly-carbonate with dimensions of 16” x 60” for $32. Routed a 1/4” groove for the lexan to sit in, top and bottom. Cut all the support pieces and slapped it all together for a dry fit run. Here is the result: So far… it does not look like I’ll win a beauty contest with it, but it will fit my utilitarian funtion. I made alot of mistakes and errors which have given me much needed experience in working on MDF, using Microfen...

Read this entry »


Part 4: day 4

03-04-2014 01:52 AM by Holbs | 13 comments »

Found out, I have a 6” inlet on my Grizzly 3HP dual bag dust collector, not a 7” like I “assumed” I had. Luckily, I have 6” HVAC parts to use up for today. But it did force me to redo hastily the top plate from 7” to 6”. I also cut out a 14” with 45 degree bevel for a temporary plate used to fine tune the chimney height, for future cleaning of interior lexan, and if I decide to go forth with the bellmouth it will be easy to install.Here is th...

Read this entry »


Part 5: run test of Thien Baffle

04-13-2014 03:47 AM by Holbs | 2 comments »

my first video posting.here is my first test run with 25’ of 6” HVAC ducting sealed up, 10 of the 6” blast gates constructed, and first operation of my new Long Ranger III remote starter. The top 6” exit is not yet silicon’ed up til I decide on the need of a bellmouth or not, so just using leaky dust tape for time being. And this also shows why I went for a tophat in the first place when some debris rattles around which could of damaged my dust collector impeller.

Read this entry »


Part 6: Hanging from the ceiling for drum removal

05-29-2014 12:12 AM by Holbs | 5 comments »

I’ve seen 1001 ways to simply and ones with complexity, to remove the container underneath a Thein Baffle. I went the utilitarian route. Jack Chain! The baffle sits uptop a 55gallon plastic barrel with 1/4” slack on the jack chain. The barrel itself sits 6” off the floor on a shelf that simply flips downward from a horizontal position to a 35degree downard position and will slide right into a drum dolly (gotta get one first). I also figured out I can line the barrel wit...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com