My Version 1 blast gates were… functional but with a structural design flaw. Whenever I placed torque on the blast gate for any reason (hanging downwards of spiral 6” hose or bumping a machine into it while moving machine around, etc), the HVAC sheet metal sometimes compressed against the sliding 1/8” hardboard. I should never of cut out a U shaped notch for the bolts, but instead drilled dedicated holes. Plus, the blast gate structure stuck out waaaay too far. Lessons learned. So I went about looking to run another set of blast gates. I took cue from Jay Bates at Custom Creations youtube video and that’s what I’ll try in this version 2. I need to make 12 6” blast gates and 6 4” blast gates. I’m 1/2 done with the 6”. I have never worked with construction glue before and was surprised at it’s strength. Instead of using blue tape like Jay does to seal the other side of the blast gate, I will be using spring hinges that I picked up at an online auction though I only have 10 hinges. I made a quick table saw 6” pvc duct cutting jig that worked out great. Next, assembly of blast gates. But first, looking into ways to keep the slider open when I want it to, closed when I want it to. Somewhere, I saw a video or LJ project about ball bearings and compression spring….
-- Yes, my profile picture is of a Carpenter Bee! The name is derived from the Ancient Greek "wood-cutter"