LumberJocks

Saving A Jet JWP-15CS From Dump #4: Electrolysis Attempt #3: Failure

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Holbs posted 03-20-2015 01:03 AM 1759 reads 1 time favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 3: Electrolysis Attempt #1 Part 4 of Saving A Jet JWP-15CS From Dump series Part 5: electrolysis tub version 2.0 and Jet Motor test »

My first 2 attempts were the Jet stand handles: 12” long solid steel rods that were somewhat rusty. They came out with only blackness on them. My 3rd attempt was something larger: the rusted infeed roller. After 24hours of cooking, only the end tips were free of rust, but the chipper looking waves in the middle section of the roller itself looked as if nothing changed with the rust. I did notice when firing up the battery charger, only the ends had bubbles streaming off, but nowhere in the middle section. This is one big solid piece about 2” thick. I did use 12 gauge copper wire to hold this part suspended in 10 gallons with 10 tablespoons of washing soda.
This weekend, I’ll be switching everything to steel to suspend the part and fine tuning my copper wire around the outside connecting the 4×24” rebar i sticks I used. Might swap the 24” rebar to the 12” rebar I used on the smaller 3 gallon container I used for the Jet handles.

-- Yes, my profile picture is of a Carpenter Bee! The name is derived from the Ancient Greek "wood-cutter"



4 comments so far

View Greg In Maryland's profile

Greg In Maryland

550 posts in 2461 days


#1 posted 03-20-2015 02:51 AM

Bummer. Someone will be along shortly to give expert advice. Hang in there, you’ll get where you need to be.

Greg

View daddywoofdawg's profile

daddywoofdawg

1010 posts in 1038 days


#2 posted 03-20-2015 03:07 AM

Get you some sch 40 PVC and two end caps and some pvc glue cut the tube a few inches longer that your longest rusty roller/pipe glue on a end cap,place in like a five gal. bucket pour sand in the bucket it keep the tube upright,Place roller in tube and the pour evapo-rust in tube ,place other cap on tube let sit for 24 hrs,remove from tube,rinse and hit it with a wire brush.should clean up good.after removing you can put the next part in the tube,and repeat the soak.

View ic3ss's profile

ic3ss

387 posts in 2239 days


#3 posted 03-21-2015 11:59 PM

You might also try to increase the soda content. I’m assuming you’re using clean water each time. If not that then it must be a bad connection.

Wayne

-- "I am endeavoring, ma'am, to construct a mnemonic memory circuit using stone knives and bear skins."

View davidroberts's profile

davidroberts

1025 posts in 2949 days


#4 posted 03-29-2015 06:49 AM

It’s really a toss up between chemical treatment like evaporust and electrolysis, and mechanical like a soft wire wheel in a drill or bench grinder. I tend to like electrolysis for larger parts, and evaporust for the smaller parts, nuts and bolts. I use a large plastic trash can with a 2×4 across the top for electrolysis, and wrap the steel wire a few times around the part to get a good connection. That also helps to suspend the par, if necessary. Either way, you are gonna need to wire wheel the parts to finish the job.

-- Better woodworking through old hand tools.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com