in anticipation of getting ready to dimension wood this month… i decided to give my jointer more physical tuneup.
first, i removed the cutter head assembly. i then had to grind down a 5/16” HF box wrench so it would fit into the lock bar slot. i removed the lock bar, blade, 4 hex screws and cleaned everything i saw: the “valley” where the blade/lock bar sit in, front/back/sides of the hex screws, and the lock bar itself as i do not think this jointer ever had a tear down cleaning in it’s life with all the grime and caked on saw dust in the littlest of places. WD-40 and 120grit sandpaper came in handy to make everything 98% shiney again. I did this for all 3 blades.
Next up: setting blade height. i’ll have to go get some plexiglass and magnets for that. Then, figuring out how to tune the infeed table (if even possible) or maybe it’s the fence, that is 1/16” out of square.
a word of note for those that may have similar jointers: the lock bar goes back into the “valley” in a unique way as the 4 hex screws are angled (10-15degrees looking). if you put in the wrong way, you will have a slight angle gap between the lockbar and jointer blade (i think that is a bad thing!)
-- Yes, my profile picture is of a Carpenter Bee! The name is derived from the Ancient Greek "wood-cutter"