LumberJocks

Dust Collection #14: Upgrading to Super Dust Deputy XL: finding a home

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Holbs posted 11-01-2018 01:54 AM 575 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 13: Finalizing dust collection for hand tools, router table, bandsaw, drill press. Part 14 of Dust Collection series no next part

In the search of finding even more real estate in my 2 car garage workshop and DC efficiency… I am saying goodbye to my wonderful Thein Baffle tophat that has served me well for almost 5 years. For a economical DIY separator, you can not beat it. However, it’s time to upgrade.
What I did not like about my setup:
1.) way too much real estate was taken up. 55 gallon plastic barrels are great, but they are a good 4-5” wider than metal drums. The dual arm 3 HP Grizzly DC basically takes up double the real estate that it truly needed. I had to set the barrel to the side of the DC taking up even more space. Picture below:

2.) Because I experimented with a 16” tall top hat instead of the usual 6-8” (I did the 16” to see if was more better at separation), that meant much more volume of air inside the chamber to move around, lowering my CFM efficiency greatly (I would guess…35-45%).
3.) The Thein Baffle did fantastic for all machinery (bandsaw, jointer, table saw, downdraft table, etc). But when it came to the 15” planer, the baffle almost hit it’s max of being overloaded. Plus, due to the engineering aspect of the baffle, large chips liked to gather into a mound of blockage at the end of the cut out slit.
4.) I made the Thein Baffle out of MDF, which in turn made the structure heavy. If I were to do again, I would go with basswood due to being much lighter. I always planned on doing a Version II but Version I worked so well, I didn’t bother.

I ordered the SDD XL off amazon due to the free 2 day shipping.
Bought a refurbished metal 55 gallon drum with latching plastic lid.
Tore apart my Grizzly DC down to the blower assembly. Took the Grizzly exhaust arm to a local HVAC shop and they will be making me an exact measured rectangle to 6” round adaptor for $30 with 26 gauge. Other retail places would be selling square to round adaptor for double or even triple that price.

I know I’ll have the DC system in the corner again. Took apart the slats in the above shelving. What do you know? The cantilevered arms lag bolted (thank you, Matthias Wandel for that inspiration to shelving) to the wall that were for shelving are actually exactly what is needed for the DC and SDD! Not sure how that came to be. I did hang from one arm (my body weight is around 220lbs). It flexed a tad, but not biggy as I’ll be using 2 arms and the DC motor will be bolted to the side wall for additional safety.
Top arms will hold the DC motor. Lower arms will hold SDD. To the right, the arms will hold supporting structure for the 2 Wynn nano-filters. Kinda amazing how that all came out.

-- The Carpenter Bee is derived from the Ancient Greek word wood-cutter "xylokopos/ξυλοκὀπος"



0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com