LumberJocks

Plantation Shutters #22: 4 light coats of Sealcoat Shellac and all 8 frames. Looking mighty purdy.

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Holbs posted 01-30-2018 04:35 AM 1535 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 21: first shellac coat applied Part 22 of Plantation Shutters series no next part

I used my Capspray 9100 4 turbine HVLP and gun for the first time spraying Sealcoat shellac onto my frames. I have learned, I have much to learn about spraying! It’s easy to spray a 3” straight piece as I did for my window frame parts, but spraying a large area piece is a challenge for the first time. Experience will hopefully fix that. I tried to hang each frame in the backyard on a post but the actual pressure from the spray gun kept knocking it around until I braced the piece with my free hand wearing gloves. That helped but still did not feel ideal. In the end, 2 light and 2 medium coats applied with no sanding in between. As they stand, they do not look too shabby. My 5th coat, I was thinking on doing the cheesecloth, DNA, shellac by hand route… akin to French Polish without the pumice or more than 1 layer. And then deciding polyurethane or not. I am thinking not, maybe.
I am really liking how the charred basswood is coming along with the texture and look.

-- The Carpenter Bee is derived from the Ancient Greek word wood-cutter



0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com