Well, Neil has been making such good progress on his blog, it inspired me to get some work done. His work is here (but seriously Neil, these should be in blogs so I don’t miss em’ (-: )
So my plan was to build a Mr Sawdust table. The problem is that the instructions to size the table require you to measure the travel in the arm. Since my saw was 80% disassembled, I figured a change of plans was in order. One of the few problems with my old saw was that the column wasn’t moving up and down smoothly. The first step to fixing this was to remove the base of the column so I removed the bolts:
This thing was heavy. Must be about 50 lbs. I set it down and removed the two bolts in the side that attach the column to the base. I was surprised to find this brass piece fall out from the inside. It also holds the acme thread (the threaded rod that raises/lowers the column):
Once the column (and guidebar) were separated, I dropped all the hardware in a jar of evaporust so they will be ready for me when I need them. Then on to the hard work. It was time to clean the base and column. I put some WD-40 (i bought a gallon) on the column and sanded with 400 and 600 grit. I didn’t really go for a polished look. I just removed some of the old grease that had turned gummy. I also did the mating surface of the base. Once it was smooth and clean, I applied some past wax to both surfaces.
Oh yeah, and the bottom of the base was rusty for some reason so I sanded that too. Not perfect, but pretty good:
Next I cleaned off the brass piece and the acme thread. I used mineral spirits to get more of the gummy grease off. Here it is all cleaned off.
I think I’m going to have trouble explaining the next part but I’ll try anyway.
When it was time to reassemble the column,I had to do some things in a different order. I needed to attach the base first so that was pretty easy. The problem is that next I need to screw the bolts through the base, the column, and into the brass piece I showed above. That may not seem to bad, but the column weighs about 40 lbs. The only way to attach it is to keep the column all the way up and squeeze your hand into the frame. If it slips, I’m pretty sure it would break my fingers. I came up with a simple solution. I wedged a piece of 3/4” plywood into the slot in the column to keep it elevated while attaching it:
I got it reattached and put the acme thread back in (I put 3-in-1 oil on it. we’ll see how that works). Then I had to call it quits because it was 2AM. I hope you guys are enjoying the blog so far. I hope I can make some more progress soon, but we’ll see when I get to it.
The next steps will be to work on the arm itself and the adjustment levers. I’m also trying to unfreeze the roller bearings. I’ve got 3 of them at 80% and another seems like it is still only at 20%. I REALLY don’t want to buy new ones at $26 a piece so I can’t give up yet. Stay tuned!