First off, I’m amazed by people that crank out quality projects. This construction grade project has been slow going and there really isn’t too much detail. The heat is also really wearing on me so I only did about 4 hrs today. I doubt it looks like 4 hours of work, but lots of predrilling and lots of screws.
I started off with the objective of finishing the base. I needed to complete the floor for the plywood storage and attach the wheels. The shelf floor went on just fine. The wheels weren’t quite as easy. Here is a picture after getting the wheels on.
The problem with the wheels was that I assumed the stems would be long enough to go through the plywood wheel supports. I used doubled up 3/4” ply. As you can see, they weren’t long enough.
What I did was I drilled a hole with a spade bit into the top of the supports. It was just large enough to get a washer into the hole (1” wide maybe). I drilled through three layers of ply. This worked well because as I went through each layer I could see the black glue. It made for the easiest measuring of the project so far. I then finished with a 3/8’s bit all the way through. I don’t know if this will weaken the structure. personally, I don’t think so, but we’ll see.
The other mistake I made was I had already attached the wheel supports thinking I could just slide my ratchet in there. I needed to disassemble everything and then put it back together. up to this point i probably spent 1.5 hrs btu at least 15 minutes was kicking myself for not realizing my mistake. all in all though, not a big deal.
On to the sides!
I left the base with a 19.5 gap between the floor of the plywood and the floor for the offcuts. after subtracting 1.5 inches for the plywood thickness, that leaves 18 inches at the base. the sides are 42 inched high. I’ll put a shelf ever 13 inches. this means that every 13 inches, the sides will slant one inch inward (on each side) I think that will be plenty to keep material leaning but not so much that it causes additional downward stress.
I measured each 13” increment and marked up the plywood. here are 4 shots (2 of each side) of the cleats being glued into place and screwed in, mostly to pull the parts tight during gluing. I was shocked that I used as many screws and as much glue as I did. I’ve already used a whole small bottle and a whole box of screws (although they were varied sizes).
I was careful to try and keep the bow in the plywood pieces going the opposite direction of one another. I don’t think it will make a significant difference, but every little bit will help. Screwing the shelving in will really line everything up and make it much more rigid.
I’m actually really pleased with the progress. I think tomorrow I’m going to take a day off and just rest up. Then on Monday I’ll try and finish this thing off. I’ll need to rip the shelves to their final width and figure out a way to hold up the sides while I work on getting the parts in place. I’ll also need to screw the sides to the base. If that gets done in less than 2 hrs, I might start on the dividers for the cutoff bins.
One final note, thanks to everyone for their advice on the casters. I was using the base as my workbench and I locked the casters. They didn’t go anywhere. once I was done, I put the last piece of plywood on it to simulate the weight of the structure (unloaded). After unlocking them I could easily move it with one hand. So far, I’m thrilled. I hope they work as well when I put another 700 lbs on it.
One FINAL FINAL note. here is a shot of the scrap pile. If not for the mdf, that was already scrap, I’d be at virtually 0 (1’ x 6” plus sawdust). I’m not soing this just to do it, I’m just trying to keep costs down after my wife has been so good about saving money recently. I may use some of the mdf scrap anyway when making some of the clamp rack attachments, but I’ll decide all of that stuff at a later date.