Shop Storage Solutions #3: First day of work = 3 hrs of work

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by HokieMojo posted 08-14-2009 06:33 AM 1813 reads 1 time favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 2: Why I Need Storage & the Materials to Fix the Problem Part 3 of Shop Storage Solutions series Part 4: Lots of Work - Minimal Results »

I’m taking a few days off of work to spend some tiem with the family. I’m also trying to get a bit of work done on my storage solution. Today was a great day with my wife and baby daughter at the local farmers market and splurging on some pizza at a downtown restaurant, but after that and hanging around playing, I didn’t start working in the garage till about 4:00. I didn’t do much, but I cleared enough space to work (not easy when the space requires 3 full plywood sheets) and I started framing the base and cutting some panels. Here are some pictures of my work.

First I started framing up the base. I used 4 2×4’s for this. Unfortunately, because of my current mess, I can’t find my 3” screws. I did have my 3 inch nails though, so I used 1 at each joint to hold it together. I’m going to add the screws after a run to the store tomorrow. I was planning to nail anyway because it feels like they have better shear strength, but the screws really help keep things nice and rigid over time. Here is a shot of the framing.

On top of the base, you can see some plywood. those are the cleats I cut off. They are 3”x7’. Here is a closer shot of those

In addition to cutting the cleats from the long ends of the boards, I cut 1’x4’ sections from the short ends. The remaining pieces are 3’x7’. These will be two of the sides and the last piece will be ripped into shelves. You can see that by removing only 1 ft from each edge, I reduce the sq footage from 32 to 21. That reduced the weight (and cost) by 30% without impacting the functionality. Here you can see the size difference. The pine ply I’m using is on the left and an uncut piece of polar is on the right.

Finally, I did have one problem. The plywood is warping some. I planned on this maybe happening, but I didn’t think it would warp quite this badly. Thankfully it is only one of the 3 sheets, and I think the design will allow me to easily force the materials back into place. here is a shot of the 3 1’x4’ pieces. can you guess which will be cut into the 8 small triangles and which will be reserved for the larger pieces?

2 comments so far

View spaids's profile


699 posts in 3117 days

#1 posted 08-14-2009 01:58 PM

Thanks for taking the time to blog your build. Its nice to see a project every step through. We should all do this more often rather than just the final result. PS I (my wife) also have cats and I have not had the forethought to save the litter buckets. DUH! Who couldn’t use an endless supply of sturdy buckets?

-- Wipe the blood stains from your blade before coming in.--

View HokieMojo's profile


2103 posts in 3152 days

#2 posted 08-14-2009 02:49 PM

thanks spaids. I’m not the best writer, but hopefully people can follow.

As for the buckets, the funny thing is that I had so much trouble finding 4 that were the same size. It seems they are constantly changing, but you are right, they come in handy for all sorts of things from derusting, to doubling as low sawhorses, to being one of my current cut-off bins.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics