I completed basic setup last night and gave it a try. As a lot have noted, the stock blade is awful, I had a lot of vibration and didn’t pass the nickel test. After switching to a 1/2” Timberwolf 3TPI all vibration is gone and it runs very smooth. Without trying real hard I was able to resaw a 0.025” (~1/40”) slice off a jointed and faced 2×4. The variation in thickness was +/- 0.005”.
Things I’ve noticed but need to investigate more (suggestions/explanations welcome)
- The lower guide front-back adjustment appears limited, I’m not talking about thrust bearing adjustment but the getting the side bearings forward enough to ride right behind the gullet. I didn’t inspect too closely so i may be missing something.
- There was a piece wire from the welding of the rear blade guard that extended into the blade cavity. I only noticed it when I was using the flutter method with the TW blade. I kept hearing a tinking noise. This was easily fixed with a side snip but thought I’d point it out in case others get one like this.
- The blade tensioning indicator slipped off the post on the tensioning guide somehow, when I put it back on, I noticed it was bent. I am having a hard time determining if it is supposed to be bent or not. based on the way it is put together, I can see how it might be “bent” on purpose to allow clearance around the tensioning mechanism. Is it supposed to be “bent”? That said, the indicator seems to be really high ~3/4 after tensioning the TW blade using the flutter method so I’m still not convinced that there might be something wrong with it. I’m not too concerned since most say the tensioning gauges are all screwy any, regardless of the saw.
- The blade tracks fine on upper wheel but appears to ride ~1/4” to the front of the bottom tire. There is a guide on Rikon’s site to adjust this…I will be doing that tonight.
- The table is not perpendicular to the blade. It is sloping away from the blade slightly. This may be due to the blade riding on the front of the lower table. Once I get the blade riding on the center of the lower tire, I’ll check again and this may be fixed it.
- The blade guide seems to travel fairly parallel to the blade. I think it is off a small bit but this may also be due the the way the blade is riding on the lower tire. If not there are adjustments to fix this.
- There is an learning curve on adjusting the bearings but I got the hang of it quick and don’t think it was very difficult compared to my 12” Jet with coolblocks
So far I am very happy with my experience. I plan on posting pictures of the setup from packaging to final assembly. I’ll also update on how my fine-tuning goes.
-- John H. [To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. ~Edison]