Back to working on the trucks.
I know some of you thought I’d already bailed out, but not this time. As I said in my last blog post, I needed to build a small sled for my table saw. I finished it today. My first swing at making a sled bombed because the plywood (Hm Dpt 1/2” Sandply…) was slightly warped and it wouldn’t relax and lay flat on the table saw… So I laminated three pieces of 3/16” tempered hardboard (aka Masonite). I used the table saw top as a guide surface and clamped the pieces up flat on it. The end result is quite solid and FLAT… The sled, although quite basic is useable.
I used the sled to trim the chassis pieces to the final length.
I used a 45* camfer router bit to cut a 3/8” camfer across the tail end of each of the chassis pieces. No pictures of the process but here’s the bit in the router table. I’ll also be using this bit and setup to shape the top edges of the engine compartment pieces.
I used the sled to cut grooves in both the bottom and top of the chassis pieces. The three 1/8” deep grooves on the bottom are for the axel blocks. The grooves on the top are part of the cab structure. I found that it was better to work with me standing at the back end of the table saw when using the sled for this purpose. That way I can see the blade as it meets the workpiece.
The last cut on the chassis pieces is to slot the back end of the chassis where the dump bed will attach to the chassis. Again I used the sled, with me working from the back of the sled.
This photo shows the details of the bottom and top of the chassis parts.
And the final result today is four chassis parts fully machined.
The next part to be made is the engine compartment.
-- Herb, Florida - Here's why I close most messages with "Be Careful!" http://lumberjocks.com/HerbC/blog/17090