LumberJocks

Table saw cabinet #2: Grinding halt!! week 2

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Heisinberg posted 03-07-2015 07:30 PM 1638 reads 2 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 1: Let's get rolling! Week 1. Part 2 of Table saw cabinet series Part 3: Finishing the top. week 3 »

Day 1: What’s that horrible screeching sound?!?

Production came to a ear deafening screeching halt on day 1 when the motor on my saw threw a bearing. I was able to finish building the router side drawer but the was all. No pic, I was too distraught.

Day 2: Open heart surgery

I pulled the motor out and rushed it to the emergency room where I left it in the good hands of Dr.Bruce.

Bad break equals life just got easier. Without a motor the saw became a lot lighter. So I figured now would be as good as time as any to mount it on the cabinet.

After aligning the saw to the cabinet and marking its final resting place I cut the hole for the dust collection vent. I don’t know if I’m the only one who has dropped the arbor nut or washer but it’s a real pain in the butt trying to fish it out of the system. With a trip to the local box store I picked up two floor drain fittings and with a little silicone I installed one of them in the saws hopper. Now, with the help of magnet attached to a stick, my fishing just got a lot easier.

Day 3: Getting edgy!

Still with no motor I was able to finish up edging on the router side and the one drawer I had built.

My Jessem router lift and bosch router arrived lifting my spirits. Without much else to do I actually spent time reading the instructions.

Day 4: Clean up

Cleaned up the shop and spent a good deal of time planning the rest of the build. I will say that having the saw go down sucks but the reality is that there couldn’t have been a better time for it to have happened. I was able mount the saw by myself. It required me to lift on and off a few times. Gave me a chance to really dial in location of the saw on the cabinet.

Day 5: The heart beats again!

A quick trip to the repair shop and a hr inside the patients chest and we’re back in the business of making saw dust again! Spent the rest of the day installing the fence rails and cutting the mdf for the top. Went with a not so simple torsion box design. I kept the original fence and rail system and that made it harder to design around the back rail.

I didn’t take any pics of the box’s internals and that was a mistake. I was just trying get this thing built.

Day 6: Back on top.

Glued and screwed the top together then filled the holes before applying the laminate. This was first time applying laminate so it took me awhile to set up to cut the sheet. All I could think of is please don’t mess this up! The cut went as well as could be expected. The off cut did tear a small amount due to not being supported but nothing major. I used spray can contact cement and that was ok. Think I’ll try roll on next time.

Day 7: Day off.

Took the day off.

-- "I've still got things left to do." – Walter White



0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com