Some of the challenge in this build comes from my desire to have it be repeatable without the same amount of prep work involved as the first time around (at least for me as a novice). In other words, I need to make jigs and patterns that I won’t need to make in the future. Then I’ll be able to just buy the lumber, dimension, and go to work. It’s a challenge for me, because one of the aspects of coming up with jigs is building something that may or may not have been done by someone else already. Case in point, while my taper jig is derived from a couple of different designs I’ve seen, the jig for creating the curve at the top of the back slats is mostly my own design. I just hope I don’t run into tear out problems when I go to use it.
This is the taper jig I built. I think I may have a problem with it at some point because of the clamp placement. I can see pressure from clamping pushing the taper fence up off of the sled, which is probably why the original plan called for a block to attach to the sled itself…
This is what I came up with for the back slats. The chair plans say to make the top and bottom spacers and to use a circle jig, but I didn’t want to have any holes from a trammel point in the center slat. Instead, I made the backer board, cut the curve with a router and circle jig, and permanently attached the bottom spacer. The top spacer is removed once the back slats are in place and a pattern bit is then used with a router and the already cut curve as a guide to cut the back slats. I may have to experiment with some sort of backer boards between the slats to eliminate tear out, but we’ll see.
And finally, I’ve made some progress:
And this is what happens when you forget to empty the can…
Thanks for taking a look!!!