LumberJocks

Lidded Boxes #5: Completed the 2nd Bowl and Started the 3rd and 4th...

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by HappyHowie posted 12-07-2016 06:36 AM 837 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 4: Still Turning the First Two Bowls Part 5 of Lidded Boxes series Part 6: Turned Two New Bowls, Partially »

I continued work on turning wood bowls. They will be Christmas gifts so I have much work to complete. I decided that I will finish turning the feet of each of these bowls after I have turned the outside and inside of all four bowls. So I will be finishing all four feet at the same time.

The light bowl’s hardwood is lati. It has a very nice grain pattern. I took the bowl off the lathe. I had watched veteran turner Lyle Jamieson demonstrate how to use a hand chisel with a mallet to break off a glue chuck. So I tried doing that myself today. His method worked great! I wish I had seen that method the day before cause I parted my glue chuck from the first bowl I turned. Like Lyle said it was a difficult and messy process.

Before I began removing material from the inside of this bowl I drilled a 3/8 inch hole in its center 1 1/4 inches deep. This will give me approximately 1/4 inches to the base of the tenon.

I finished turning the inside of the light lati wood. In order to turn the inside I had to mount its tenon in my four jaw chuck. I thought I had that process down okay the day before, but I had some troubles holding the bowl tightly. It started to wobble. Thus, I tried to tighten the chuck more. I actually had some chipping occur and the bowl fell off of my lathe. The bowl did not break, thank goodness. I carefully fastened the chuck back on and positioned the chipped parts between the jaws. I then began to take very light cuts for the remaining removal of wood within the bowl. I switched from my 1/2 inch bowl gouge to my 3/8 inch bowl gouge so I could more finely and thinly remove materials on the side and bottom of the bowl. After that i used my round nose scrapper chisel. I believe I got the wood to a nice smooth surface.

I then sanded the bowl’s inside starting from 80 grit, to 120, 150, 180 and finally 220. Afterwards I applied some carnauba wax.

I prepared two more glue chucks that I will use for the other bowls. I used epoxy to fasten the glue chucks onto the other two hardwood blocks. These hardwoods are bubinga and Brazilian cherry. They will look great, if I don’t mess them up while turning .

Oh yeah, my new welder’s smock got delivered today. I like it. A wood turner’s smock may have had slicker smooth cloth material, but I think this jacket will work great for me. I actually saw another Lumberjocks.com member who recommended this brand. i bought it like him on Amazon.com.

You can see from the sight of my used respirator why I use a respirator during turning. My first day of turning these bowls i did not use a respirator. I paid for it. Thankfully I had a Nettie pot. I had to rinse my nasal cavity twice to get the junk out. I will remember this…

-- --- Happy Howie



0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com