The last steps in this nightstand’s build was to fasten the back panel and the false drawer front. After those steps, I applied another thin coat of Danish Oil.
I was planning to apply a ship-lapped back to this nightstand, but then I studied the board I had resawn. I had to find a way to use this beautiful grain in this piece. I decided to join the two resawn boards together and then select the area to cut out and fit into the rabbets I routed in the back of this case.
I took an empty cereal box and cut out the center that fit the size of the case’s back. From there I asked my Annie to help me decide. Actually, she confirmed what I had already seen.
Oh yeah, I also took some black spray paint and covered the ends of the screws I was going to use to fasten the back panel on this nightstand’s case.
I cut the panel so it would have enough room to expand with humility. I gave a smaller amount of room at the ends. I drilled the countersinks and holes for the screws in a test piece so I could test if I gave enough space so the screws would not split the end of the panel when screwed down tightly. That helped.
This dry walnut soaked up my Danish Oil. I have applied it thinly and evenly. I have also used a dry cloth to wipe any excess. Now I am thinking of applying some furniture wax. I have two brands to choose from: Crystal Clear Wax and Briwax Clear.
I still have a few teaks to perform. At this moment I am just going to let it rest. I moved it indoors.
-- --- Happy Howie