LumberJocks

Shop Made JIGS #5: Nearing Completion of Two Router Mortising JIGs

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by HappyHowie posted 05-06-2016 03:41 PM 802 reads 0 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 4: Wall Rack Finds Its Home Part 5 of Shop Made JIGS series Part 6: Slot Mortiser: Router Lift Nears Completion. »

I am finally nearing completion of my two mortising JIGs. The first JIG is based on a Woodsmith Plan. This plan contained the use of three toggle clamps. Instead of permanently anchoring three toggle clamps to the JIG. These were positioned near the three mounting edges: the straight line edge and the two opposing 45 degree angle edges. I had seen a similar plan that used a toggle clamp mounting block that could be moved to a different position. I decided use a toggle clamp block in my mortising JIG. It is held to the JIG with knobs screwed into fixed T-nuts. I designed that block yesterday.


Note: I see that I need to take an updated photograph of this mortising JIG. I have several cuts and updates made to the JIG since I took this photo.

I still need to cut two corners off along its top top outside corners so I can position the bock between two other knobs on the JIG. Once I have those corners cut I will disabled the block so it can be sanded and finished with shellac. Then reassembled for use.

I am also combing two plans together to design and make my salt mortise. I liked the simplicity of Gregory Paolini’s slot mortise design, but I wanted to have a better and more flexible way to adjust the height of the router mount; to move the router bit in the z-axis. Paolini’s used spacer blocks for this purpose. I wanted my JIG to be more adjustable Han that systems. I found a vertical crank method in the German woodworking magazine Holzwerken. That JIG was designed by Guide Hen. I bought two issues of the magazine that had the plan or versions of it so I could study it further. I decided to use the router mount and crank system with the Paolini’s design. Later I could fully implement the Hen design, if I felt my JIG needed an upgrade later.

I have cut the parts so I could see if I could understand the function of the crank based around a threaded rod and nuts. I used a threaded insert in my design instead of capturing a nut in wood block piece. Since my translations of German to English using Google translators were not that good, I had to experiment with the design. What I learned was that the the block at the end of the rod that was also fastened to the router mount had to be free of the threaded rod. A single threaded insert embedded in a block fastened to the lift’s frame was enough to move the router mount up and down in the z-axis. Now that the testing is completed for this function, I can begin to assemble the router lift parts. I believe I can complete its assembly today or at least by the end of tomorrow’s work inky shop.

Stay tuned…


Front view of router mount lift system: from Guido Henn’s article published in Holzwerken magazine.


Back view of router mount lift system.


Gregory Paolini’s slot mortiser: x and y – axis assembly…

-- --- Happy Howie



1 comment so far

View HappyHowie's profile

HappyHowie

327 posts in 1409 days


#1 posted 05-06-2016 10:14 PM

This is an updated photo of the mortising JiGs present state of construction. I had to order more star knobs. I emptied the home center’s supply.

The additional holes you see drilled are other locations I can place the toggle clamp block.

-- --- Happy Howie

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com