I used my Bosch Colt router to flush trimmed the bottom ship-lapped boards so they would be flush to the chest’s outer walls. Nothing exciting here. It did the job.
This photo confirms that the parts are flush with the wall so my trim pieces will fit nicely on the base and up against the wall of the chest, without any gaps.
Next I turned my attention to the chest’s lid; especially cutting and fitting the mitered corners. Frankly, I just sneaked up with the fit at my table saw using my shop made miter sled. To test the fit I would use my parallel clamps. Once I was satisfied with the fit I selected a long setup glue in order to give me the time to work the fit precisely to where I wanted it. Of course, I had made sure the splines would fit nicely into the 1/4 inch slots I had cut into the lid and the matching trim.
This close up photo shows how the splines also fit into the mitered ends.
I rehearsed the clamping procedure. I used two thick scrap boards and two additional ones laying across them so I could get my clamps underneath the lid parts. I spread the glue almost exclusively on the spline’s long grain flat surfaces although I did spread some glue in the slots with a weak attempt to spread the glue on the walls of the slot. I was sure the liberal use of glue on the splines would do the job of joining the trim parts to the lid quite nicely, if I gave it enough clamping pressure.
I used a lot of clamps to make sure the trim was pulled tightly to the lid both along the front trim and also the sides.
With what squeeze out I got, I cleaned it up on both sides with a wet paper towel.
-- --- Happy Howie