I decided to replace the tear -down workstation in my garage shop. It was not mobile and it became more stationary than a tear-down temporary assembly table.
I feel that in my garage shop everything should mobile if it is on the floor. The exceptions are some storage racks and the sheets storage area. The five gallon buckets that captures my wood scraps should one day be replaced with a scrap mobile rack. Until then they camp under my hardwood wall rack.
I did some searches for an assembly table plan that I could build. I watched the Whisper guy build an out-feed table based on a Norm Abram assembly table. That led me to watch Norm make his assembly table at the link below.
I bought his plan. It had a unique way to make the table mobile. I considered using that method but I also wanted to add a shelf under the table’s top. Adding a shelf messed with the method Norm used to drop and raise the casters. I decided to use instead Woodcraft’s Wood River Workbench Caster Set, Item #158547.
So last Wednesday I bought the plywood and 1/2” MDF needed for my new mobile assembly table. I bought maple 3/4” plywood from a big box store instead of AC plywood. It was only a few bucks more. For cutting dimensions, I used Norm Abram’s plan with a few changes so I could add a shelf.
I think a Saw Stop is in my future; my Annie says so after my shop accident last month. I am going to be fine. My fingers are healing very well. I am a lucky man who made a stupid mistake. Lucky for me no bones were touched so my fingers look like they will heal so no one would be the wiser. I consulted a scaled Saw Stop drawing so I could determine where its dust port is located so I could position my bottom shelf just above that port. Eleven inches above the floor seems to be right.
Thursday I began cutting the parts and I glued and screwed together the two end leg assemblies. I also assembled the table’s top box. Its made from 2 1/2 inch wide plywood strips; two 66 inches long and four 40 9/16 inch long ribs, or two ends and two ribs. I glued and screwed those together and then cut the two 1/4 inch plywood sheets about a half inch longer and wider than the frame size. After I glued and nailed the two 1/4 inch sheets to the top and bottom of the frame, I used a flush trim router bit and then a 1/8 inch round-over bit to remove the sharp edges.
Making the box…
Box Completed with Round-over Edges
Making Legs: biscuits, glue and screws…
End of First Day
Friday I began to assemble by gluing and screwing the stretchers to the end assemblies; to assemble the rest of the table together. I used the top box to help position the end leg assemblies. Pipe clamps held the end leg assemblies in place when I checked for square and then used glue and brads and later screws to add the stretchers to the table legs. Afterwards I cut scrap pieces to position and hold the top box in place so I could fasten the box to the top of the end leg assemblies. After that it was easy to add the MDF replaceable top to the table.
Stretchers and supports for lower shelf…
Saturday I had to go out to purchase eight (actually ten) #12 machine bolts and nuts so I could bolt on the Woodcraft lever casters. I already had the washers on hand .
Okay, I need a photo of the finished table with the Wood River casters on…
-- --- Happy Howie