I determined I needed a better spacer jig from what I started with in order to mount these drawer slides. So I went back to my big box store and bought two 3/4 by 24 by 48 inch small, easy to handle panels of MDF. I cross-cut both of their lengths to the 31 9/16 inches. This is the length I needed in order to mount my top-most 3 inch tall drawer. Then I ripped their widths. This dimension was calculated so with the panels pushed back against the back frame and panel its front edge would be the exact location where I will position the front edge of my metal drawer slides. This edge gives me the correct flush fit for all of my seven stacked drawers in this cabinet bay.
With the center divider I can use a spring clamp to hold the drawer spacer upright. Since I have the door hinged on the opposite side I have to figure out another way to hold that drawer spacer upright. I chose to use a wedged stick to hold it in place.
I trimmed the thin drawer slide spacer so it would be no wider than the width of the slide it would hold on its top surface and still allow the drawers to fit between the slides. I also measured the lip of every drawer false front cover to its drawer side surface. There were some variances among the seven drawers, but not much; maybe as much as 3/64 inches. I have the spacers labeled: L for left and R for right cuz there is a slight difference from one side to the other. details… details… And, it does seem to matter…
So with the spring clamp holding the slide in place, I pre-drilled the three screw holes with the center hole aligned drill bit and then fastened the slide into place with the #8 screws supplied in the kit. I had to handhold the right hand slide in place and perform all of these tasks with the other hand.
Now it was time to position the drawer between these mounted slides so I could begin fastening the slide to the drawer side with screws.
Jeez Louise! Did I measure this gap wrong?
My drawer was not fitting between these slides. It appeared my drawers were 1/8 inches too wide. I tried it again. I got my rule out. Measured the opening. Measured my drawer width. I measured the gap between the center divider and the poplar spacer on the opposite bay side; at the top, middle and bottom. Those measurements were all the same distance. I measured the widths of all seven drawers. They measured all the same.
What did I do wrong?
Did I measure the bay’s width incorrectly before I started cutting the drawer parts? Where was my shop journal? Did I record the cut measurements in it? I began thinking: how am I going to fix this screw-up? Make all new drawers? Route and chisel 1/8 inch deep channels, seven times into the right-side poplar spacers? Gee, the drawers I made were sturdy and the best I had done. I would hate to toss them on the junk pile…
Well, I need time to calm down and think this through. I turned off the lights and walked away for day. Time to think.
This morning with a rule in my hand I went back to re-measure everything. I also looked through my journal entries There was the measurement I made cuts to for drawers parts: the drawer front and backs. On page 92, gap distance for widths: 13 11/16 inches minus 1 inch for pair of metal slides gives a cut length of 12 11/16 inches. Actual current measurements of distance between this mounted pair of metal slides: 12 11/16 inches. Remeasured actual width of drawers: 12 11/16 inches. Every drawer had the same measurement 12 11/16 inches.
Tried to fit the drawer again between these slides. Result: TIGHT!
A sigh of relief, some relief…
I will get out my hand plane and some sandpaper. I will do the best I can to hand plane and sand the sides of these drawers; especially where the “pins” fit through the side board “tails” and may not be as flush as they should be.
Now I do not see, nor do I believe or fear I need to make new drawers or route and chisel “channels” to fit the slides into so my drawers will fit between these metal slides.
To be continued…
-- --- Happy Howie