LumberJocks

Roll Around Tool Cabinet #23: Wiping on My Dye Mix

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by HappyHowie posted 03-09-2017 06:37 AM 1298 reads 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 22: Glued and Screwed Caster Base and Breadboard End Top Part 23 of Roll Around Tool Cabinet series Part 24: Sprayed Shellac to Seal Dye. What Finish Coat to Use??? »

I had used Charles Neil’s recipe for Red Cherry Mahogany but after wiping this dye on the drawer fronts poplar parts, I decided to change the formula a bit. I wanted a lighter and more brown recipe. After consulting Charles Neil he suggested that I add green TransTint to the recipe. Green and red, he said makes brown. What I did was to test the recipe on some scrap pieces of timber. I settled for adding 1/2 part of green plus 1 part of additional distilled water to the existing 17 ounce mix of his Red Cherry Mahogany. With the additional 3 ounces of distilled water and 1/2 part of green TransTint I ended up with over 20 ounces of dye mix.

I tested the mix on the caster bottom panel that I was going to glue and screw to the cabinet case. I was satisfied with the result. I began this evening by adding the recipe to a red plastic cup. I also picked out a couple of rags to use for wiping on the remaining dye mix.

Since my dye mixture is a deviation from a Charles Neil recipe, I have decided to call this mix my Brown Cherry Mahogany recipe. I wrote notes of my tests and final recipe in my woodshop journal. This way I can repeat the mixture since it is now written down.

I worked from the inside top bays first. Then I moved to the bottom inside bays, then the top doors, the face frame top, then the bottom doors and then the face frame bottom. I was concerned that I might run out of dye so I calculated I would lastly apply the dye to the back of the cabinet. This mean that I wiped on the dye to the ends after completed the doors. Once I started wiping on the dye I stayed on the project late into the evening to complete this work. Even though it is Spring here with cool temperatures, I went through a lot of drinking water and sweat. The hot shower afterwards got the dirt and smell off…

I used every drop of the dye mix to cover the remaining frame and panel back parts.

My next step will be to spray clear Shellac in order to seal the dye before spraying on the finish top coats.

-- --- Happy Howie



4 comments so far

View ralbuck's profile

ralbuck

3413 posts in 2022 days


#1 posted 03-09-2017 06:55 AM

I like the results; very nice.

-- SAWDUST is THERAPY without a couch! just rjR

View CharlesNeil's profile (online now)

CharlesNeil

2016 posts in 3626 days


#2 posted 03-09-2017 01:12 PM

Well done .. nice color

View HappyHowie's profile

HappyHowie

440 posts in 1701 days


#3 posted 03-09-2017 06:14 PM

Thanks. I would never have thought to add green to get brown. That has opened a whole to world to me. I ordered a couple of color wheels and I am watching some painting videos on YouTube. I will get my watercolors out of storage. I thought those were just to entertain my grandkids. Now I need to study painting and color mixing so I can become a better woodworker by mixing dyes.

Thank you Charles for the suggestion.

-- --- Happy Howie

View XquietflyX's profile

XquietflyX

339 posts in 716 days


#4 posted 03-09-2017 06:43 PM

looking great

-- You can tell a lot about your wife by her hands, for example if they are around your throat she's prolly pissed off at you...

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com