I don’t take the time during the week for shop therapy, priorities being what they are and all. But my work schedule includes Four-Hour Fridays, so I can get an earlier start on my therapy for the weekend.
Last weekend I got my lumber rack close to finished. I’m a little worried about undertaking the cabinet project, and I’ve been procrastinating a little, but also looking for ways to hone the skills I think I’ll need before cutting into the wood we’ve selected for the cabinets. Part of that honing was the lumber rack. Although I had the design in my mind, I didn’t bother putting it to paper, and ran short of materials before the project was 100%. Luckily, My Lovely Bride, the supportive, wonderful lady she is, took care of getting the additional hardware needed during the week, and this afternoon we picked up the last bit of plywood needed. A few quick zips with the circular saw outfitted with the Wally World $5 plywood blade, followed by a bit of glue and a handful of screws, a couple holes, a couple bolts, and Bob’s your uncle.
Until I decide to make improvements.
I’m a lot more confident about cutting straight with the circular saw and quite happy with the quality of cuts the $5 plywood blade produces. That and the added organization and space in the shop, and I think it was time well spent.
Oh, and what I said in my profile about working on old tools? Yeah, here’s my planer
An old Craftsman 6” planer that was my grandfather’s. The cutterhead is in the top part, no autofeed, so it takes a push stick. I’ve been amazed at how well it works. I haven’t had any snipe yet.
And here’s my table saw.
It’s an old Rockwell Delta tilting-table saw also my grandfather’s. I figure it’s 1940’s-1950’s vintage. Obviously, I have the table tilted for beveling in the photo, and it’s not the most comfortable thing in the world. Flat cuts? No problem. Bevel cuts? A little dicey, so extra care gets exercised.
So after getting the rack finished, I wrestled the 3/4” maple plywood onto my sawhorses and laid out the case parts. I’ve thought quite a bit about how to tackle the layout and cutting, so a couple weeks ago I put pencil to paper and drew out the 4×8 sheet of plywood to scale and laid out the individual parts, all over-sized to allow for fine tuning, mistakes, and to ensure I have enough materials on hand. Tonight, I transferred the layout onto the plywood, and am very satisfied with the results. Everything fit on one sheet as planned.
I’ve also put some thought into how to actually draw the layout lines. Mechanical pencils are great, but I really don’t want to try to follow that line with a circular saw. I’m not going to try and wrestle this monster onto my table saw, either—Momma can’t help me on that part. I had read somewhere of a more professional woodworker/teacher who uses lumber crayons, but I’m concerned there, too, with getting the crayon off the wood after cutting. What I went with, because everything is dimensioned over-sized, was to use a carpenters pencil, drawing the lines with the fat side centered on the layout measurements. I’ve allowed enough slop for it, and, if I do it right, I should end up with a fine line on either side of the kerf.
Here’s the layout on the sheet.
Tomorrow I plan on taking the first cuts after verifying my measurements and layout. Once I have the rough cuts, I’ll change out the blade on my table saw to an 80-tooth finish blade, make a couple test cuts, and get to final size. If time allows, I may also start the dadoes for the cases, and may even have a few initial dry fits. We’ll see how it all goes.
Thanks for reading! I hope to update again tomorrow or Sunday.