This project had more hickups than an old drunk in the park but thanks to three of my buddies who gave some excellent advice I was able to straighten (I do mean straighten) things out. Our Kitchen table is an 8 seater. Reaching items in the middle was a bit of a nuisance unless you stood up. A lazy Susan was the answer, but what size?.
I drew the whole thing on sketchup but that did not give a satisfactory idea of proportion. I then cut two 8mm (5/16”) plywood templates, a 500mm & 600mm diameter (19 1/2” & 2’). It was then very obvious the 600mm would be the right size.
The kitchen table is 1500X1500mm (just under 5’X5’) & is constructed from 90mm (3 1/2”) pieces so it was obvious to use 90mm boards on the lazy susan.
Thats where the fun started & mistakes were made.
Rather than lay the 90mm boards with the radial ends in opposing direction (as I recently saw Norm do) I did not give it a thought. I used biscuits to align & glue the pieces & that was not a problem but I could have paid more attention to the clamping. Everything looked straight but when the clamps were released I had a 1/4” cupping over the width of the boards. Not obvious in the photo but a definite no no for a lazy susan.
Rather than throw it away & start again (typical woodie) I thought of straightening it out. This is where my buddies came to the rescue. Many thanks to Todd Clippinger, Lee Jesberger & RusticElements who all gave similar advice.
The real key was to wet down the cupped (concave) side . The result was almost instantaneous but did not last long. So I kept on repeating the process & eventually after 3 or 4 attempts & some heavy weights over a few days I ended up with a very satisfactory result. Thanks to my 3 buddies.
How to make a perfectly round lazy susan. I could have used the bandsaw & made a jig to suit or used the outrigger on the lathe but decided a circle cutting jig for the router was the easiest particularly if there was to be any further circle cutting feature work.
The jig is not my design, I saw it in a magazine. It was not difficult to make & worked very effectively even using double sided tape over the centre of the susan. I will post another blog on the jig.
After two or 3 passes I had a perfectly circular joined piece of wood.
I then routered out a shallow circular feature on the top just for visual effect. The base was firstly a template cut out on the bandsaw then later cut down to size, again on the bandsaw.
After sanding with the belt sander & fine manual sanding I came to the colour matching part of the exercise, a part I am not particularly good at. The first attempt with wood stain was a disaster. I ended up with something much too red. Sand it back Grumpy & try again. This is where the colour wheel & the colour triangle came to the rescue. I used the base colours of yellow blue & red.
I started with yellow & after some experimentation I had an approximate colour. I still needed rub with a thinning agent to lighten the colour. The end result was satisfactory & perhaps a bit of luck was involved as well. Finished with 4 coats of poly then buffed.
The base is 8mm (5/16”) X 380mm (15”) ply with black felt glued to the bottom. The underneath side of the top is stained black with poly finish.
A metal roller bearing mechanism was purchased for the local timber supplier
That’s all folks. Sorry to be so long winded but there where some lessons I learned on the way that were good to share around.
-- Grumpy - "Always look on the bright side of life"- Monty Python