Cookbook Shelf Units #6: Still more dowel holes, and a dry fit.

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Greg Guarino posted 06-09-2014 03:02 AM 2105 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 5: Making the router templates, routing the curves Part 6 of Cookbook Shelf Units series Part 7: Sanding Lots and Lots of Small Parts: My Solution »

I have worked out the math; this project has 448 dowel holes. Here are just a few:

Still more dowel holes

These should be the last set; the ones that will fasten the top and bottom rails to the stiles on each face of the units. In the photo below, two stiles are clamped together, “outside” faces facing out. Again I used the beadlock jig, and again used the edge of the black insert for registration. The “mending plate” that is spring-clamped to the work was used to provide an edge to butt the dowel jig up against, insuring that the holes in each set of stiles would match up well.

Still more dowel holes

The video, raw this time. This process was repeated 16 times.

Having finally made all of the pieces, and especially after drilling 448 holes, I really felt the need for some gratification. Sketchup aside, I wanted to see the project in genuine, solid 3D. Okay, there are no shelves yet, and no top, but I dry-fit what I had. I used only the minimum number of dowels; my previous dry fit of a “ladder” side was difficult to disassemble with all of the dowels in. This bodes well for the stoutness of the construction though; even without glue it’s a strong, tight fit.

Here it is so far, the faces held together with a few clamps:

Dry Fit: The Frame

Dry Fit: The Frame

Dry Fit: The Frame


0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics