Each unit will have top and bottom rails on each side. The bottom edge of each will (soon, I hope) be curved:
But for now they are still rectangular. I had originally intended to attach these to the frame stiles with pocket screws; they won’t be visible, at least not to anyone over four feet tall. But the dowels worked nicely for the “ladder rungs”; I decided to use them for the top and bottom rails as well.
Again I used the BeadLock jig, and again not for its intended purpose. But this time I didn’t build a dedicated jig. It might have been a little faster, but I “only” had 16 pieces to make. I used the whole BeadLock jig, clamped onto the end of each piece.
Again, I used the edge of the drilling insert as the reference point. I had to repeat the mantra over and over in my mind: “top edge right, back face away”. Then, for the other end, “top edge left”. I still managed to get it backwards once. Luckily I had made a couple of spare pieces.
Next: Routing the curves.