Some years ago, before I attained my current woodworking “prowess” , it seemed to me that miters might be easily achieved with a miter saw, even a cheap one like mine. Sadder but wiser, I set out to miter a couple of corners for the 1×2 oak trim of my kitchen shelf unit. After a couple of unsatisfactory test pieces, and one abject failure on a piece 94” long, I decided to start again from scratch. I used a Wixey angle box and a couple of drafting triangles:
This worked passably well.
I set up to sand the trim. I’m finding dozens of handy things to do with handscrews:
This was my first experience with biscuits. I found cutting the slots to be very easy, at least until I had to remake a couple of pieces. I had put the joiner away, losing the depth setting in the process. After more test cuts and measurement than should really have been necessary, I had a good match.
At the risk of repeating myself, handscrew clamps are very very handy.
We’ll see what next weekend brings. A start to the finishing, I’m hoping.