LumberJocks

48" Pocket Door

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by GregD updated 10-20-2011 05:06 AM 9 parts 18613 reads 13 comments total

Part 1: Planning the practice version

12-09-2010 06:28 AM by GregD | 6 comments »

I have the framing and hardware installed for a (nominal) 48” wide pocket door off my front foyer. Well, it needs a door and I’ve decided to have a go at building one. The other interior doors in my house are the common hollow core, wood grained, 6 panel doors common at the home improvement stores. They are painted white. This door will be just a few feet from the front door, which is a wood grained fiber glass door that looks like a stained & finished wood door (if you ...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Big sticks to little sticks to big sticks

01-04-2011 05:41 AM by GregD | 1 comment »

I have decided against building a practice door. Instead, I’m looking at the construction process of a sequence of sub-projects that build door parts. I figure I can practice each step before I do it, and throw out any parts that don’t work out. The first sub-project in the door building process (described here) seems to be to build the cores for the stiles and rails. canadianchips suggested red cedar for the core because it is relatively light weight. It also is relative...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Take 2: Little sticks to big sticks

02-02-2011 08:18 PM by GregD | 0 comments »

The core blanks are to be edged with, and then faced with, African mahogany. My plan is to resaw 8/4 stock into 5/16 or 1/4 skins for the faces of the stiles and rails. Simple enough if I had done these basic things before, but that is not the case. As I was setting up for resawing – my first significant resawing experience – I was not happy with my cut quality and was getting frustrated setting the bandsaw fence for the blade drift angle. I have a Rikon 14” delux band...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Adding the mahogany

03-07-2011 08:11 PM by GregD | 0 comments »

With the poplar cores done I have started wrapping them with mahogany. Progress has been slow as I: figure out what I need to do next figure out what I need in order to do what I need to do next figure out what to buy and build so I have what I need in order to do what I need figure out how to use what I’ve bought and built figure out how to fix issues with my shop that are becoming a concern as the project proceeds. The first step in adding the mahogany was to edge th...

Read this entry »


Part 5: Edging the Rails and Stiles

04-23-2011 02:19 AM by GregD | 0 comments »

I’ve been progressing on the door more consistently than I’ve been posting on this blog. Tonight I hope to catch up with myself. The edge strips of mahogany have been glued to the cores of the rails, the interior stiles, and the interior edges of the long stiles. In order to maximize yield I did not use full-length strips of mahogany. Instead I used shorter lengths, being sure to locate the ends where they will be covered by the coped end of a rail or stile. In several plac...

Read this entry »


Part 6: Snipe Hunting: Mahogany faces for the stiles and rails

04-23-2011 03:01 AM by GregD | 1 comment »

My plan called for 1/4” skins to cover the faces of the stiles and rails. Because I have no prior experience with resawing, I bought some red cedar 2×6’s at the local big box store and did some practicing. Not happy with the initial results I added a Kreg Precision Fence to my bandsaw, and also built a resaw fence. I also switched to a Woodslicer blade. First I had to joint the faces of the stiles and rails. Generally I don’t notice much snipe from my Dewalt 7...

Read this entry »


Part 7: Stile with embedded T nuts

05-10-2011 04:30 AM by GregD | 1 comment »

This door will have 6 lengths of 3/8” allthread running the lengths of the rails from outer stile to outer stile. The outside edge of one of the stiles will remain hidden in the door pocket, so I’m going to have the ends of the allthread exposed on that edge. However, the other edge of the door will be exposed. In order to leave a clean, finished edge I installed T nuts into the core of that stile before gluing on the last piece of edging and the facing. During final assembl...

Read this entry »


Part 8: Preparing the bookmatched panel blanks

10-12-2011 05:45 AM by GregD | 3 comments »

It has been a long time since my last blog post. Sorry. I was more intent on getting the door done than writing about it. At this point the stile and rail blanks are complete, so I turned to the panels. One option was to make each panel the full thickness of the door – 1 3/4 inches – and raise the panel on each side. A second option is to make panels half the thickness of the door – 7/8 inches – raise the panel on 1 side, and use 2 panels back-to-back for each...

Read this entry »


Part 9: Really this time, milling the stiles and rails

10-20-2011 05:06 AM by GregD | 1 comment »

The last installment of this series was originally titled Milling the stiles and rails and described prepping the blanks for the panels. Sigh. Sorry about that. I’ve fixed that entry title. This door would be for the passage between my foyer and formal living room, so I thought the best side should face the foyer. I inspected each blank for the stiles and rails and picked out the best side as the “foyer” side, marking each part with chalk to indicated what part it was...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase