This door will have 6 lengths of 3/8” allthread running the lengths of the rails from outer stile to outer stile. The outside edge of one of the stiles will remain hidden in the door pocket, so I’m going to have the ends of the allthread exposed on that edge.
However, the other edge of the door will be exposed. In order to leave a clean, finished edge I installed T nuts into the core of that stile before gluing on the last piece of edging and the facing. During final assembly the allthread will be threaded into these T nuts and the finished edge of the door will be undisturbed.
The blanks for all of the other parts of the door have been finished – edged and faced with mahogany. The rails have been cut to final width. I laid out the blanks for the rails and the long stiles on the floor and marked on the long stiles the locations of the tunnels for the allthread. I then drilled 1/2” holes through the incomplete stile blank. One side of the stile already has the mahogany edging and looks like this:
These holes and the small bit of poplar in the middle will be covered by the 8” wide rail running across the middle of the door. I will need to position the door knob between these two holes (it will be running through from left to right in this view) in order to clear the allthread.
On the other edge of the core I installed a T nut in each of the holes. I used 2 1” roofing nails in each T nut to hold them in place (I had some and they fit). This is a photo of the bottom half of the stile core with the T nuts in place:
I then glued 1 more strip of poplar to the edge of the core with dados cut to leave clearance for the T nuts:
With that done I glued on the mahogany edging. Here is a close up:
And here is a shot of the stile ready for facing:
After that I put 1/4” thick mahogany veneer on both faces of this core.
Now all the blanks are ready for final surfacing & sizing, and after that the joinery.
-- Greg D. -- the price of freedom is tolerance