I’ve been progressing on the door more consistently than I’ve been posting on this blog. Tonight I hope to catch up with myself.
The edge strips of mahogany have been glued to the cores of the rails, the interior stiles, and the interior edges of the long stiles. In order to maximize yield I did not use full-length strips of mahogany. Instead I used shorter lengths, being sure to locate the ends where they will be covered by the coped end of a rail or stile. In several places I even used short lengths of poplar to fill in gaps between the ends of the mahogany. The ends and the poplar will all be covered.
Here is a picture of one of the long stiles. If you don’t look at it too close, it illustrates a “typical” edged core. The white poplar gaps in the read mahogany edges will be hidden by the coping of the rails. If you look at it more closely, you’ll notice something is going on. More on that in a subsequent post.
-- Greg D. -- the price of freedom is tolerance