LumberJocks

48" Pocket Door #3: Take 2: Little sticks to big sticks

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by GregD posted 1170 days ago 996 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 2: Big sticks to little sticks to big sticks Part 3 of 48" Pocket Door series Part 4: Adding the mahogany »

The core blanks are to be edged with, and then faced with, African mahogany. My plan is to resaw 8/4 stock into 5/16 or 1/4 skins for the faces of the stiles and rails. Simple enough if I had done these basic things before, but that is not the case.

As I was setting up for resawing – my first significant resawing experience – I was not happy with my cut quality and was getting frustrated setting the bandsaw fence for the blade drift angle. I have a Rikon 14” delux bandsaw and the fence adjustment involves messing around with the stand-offs that hold the fence rail to the table. Unfortunately this not only affects the drift angle, but also affects whether the fence face is perpendicular to the table. I figured that I had enough on my plate with the door project, so rather than build a resaw fence I bought a Kreg Precision Bandsaw fence. Installing it was not so straightforward since the slot in the table for removing the bandsaw blade comes out the front of the table – right through the middle of the Kreg fence rail. I’ll post my solution in my “jigs and techniques” series when I get some pictures.

I got some advice from the staff at my local Woodcraft store on bandsaw tune up. I pulled the blade and went through the whole blade installation and tune up process. In the end I got much better results, but noticed that I was using a much slower feed rate. Oh, and I also ordered a Woodslicer blade because of its great reviews, although I haven’t tried it yet.

On Lumberjocks I was asking some questions about gluing the faces. Someone who makes doors professionally mentioned that putting hardwood over a softwood core might not be a good idea because the two might expand and contract at different rates and crack or check the hardwood face. As this is an interior door I was hoping this wasn’t going to be an issue. But the other thing is, I didn’t know if the red cedar I had used in my first cores was adequately dried. What the hey, I’m doing this to have fun, right? At least that is what I keep telling myself. So wouldn’t it be more fun to do new cores in poplar?

So about 2 weeks ago I picked up 100 bf of 4/4 #1 common poplar at a bit over $1/bf. Not really any more expensive than the red cedar; too bad I didn’t think of this at the beginning. The downside was that they did not have in stock anything thicker than 4/4, and what I got was typically a bit shy of 4/4, so there were a lot more staves needed to get the required widths. I wasn’t too sure how much more of this fun I could stand, so I decided to make it easier on myself and not limit the stave length to 15” or less. Some are nearly 30”. I also didn’t bother with finger joining the ends of the staves – I just butted the ends together. A third change that I made was to have 2 tunnels for allthread through each of the 2 wide (8”) stiles. To help with the glue-up I got a glue bottle with a 2” roller. I went through what seemed to me to be a lot of glue. I had about the right amount of squeeze-out, so I think the roller worked better than the putty knife I had been using to spread the glue.

Anyway, the core blanks are now done. Here are some pictures…

-- Greg D. -- the price of freedom is tolerance



0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase