May 3, 2015 – What a roller coaster weekend of emotions; I walked out to the garage Saturday morning to continue the restoration of the Magna Jointer when I decided that my bench needed to be cleaned off in order to continue. While I was cleaning up my wife came out to the garage with a package that came in the mail; my rebuilt control sheave! I stopped what I was doing and started putting the headstock back together. A couple of youtube videos later I plugged it in, flipped the switch, and nothing happened. The motor just kind of stuttered but never fully turned on… I rechecked my wiring, made sure I hadn’t over-tightened anything, and flipped the switch again…nothing. So I took the motor back out of the headstock and started troubleshooting it. I opened up the relay, cleaned the contacts, ops checked it and the relay worked like a champ. The next thing I checked was the capacitor and it zeroed out with the ohmmeter so I knew it was good to go. That left the motor, the one I had said before “ran like a champ”…I took it apart and blew even more dust out of it and found out that I have a couple of bearings that should probably be replaced since I’m in it this far (I’ll take care of that Monday). I put the motor back together and wired everything up again only to flip the switch and hear the motor hum (not in a good way). Now the motor just sits there, it doesn’t even turn! Needless to say I am going to stop by the local electric motor repair shop and have the experts take a look; hopefully the motor does not need to be rewound but after this weekend that will probably be the case. Hopefully there will be some good news tomorrow that won’t reach too deep into my wallet!