Apr-12-2015: After building my military shadow box with a friend of mine and using his Shopsmith for a few parts of the project, I decided that I wanted one for myself so I picked up a 1958 Shopsmith Mark V and am in the middle of restoring it. The motor when I got it would barely turn and now it runs like a champ (amazing what blowing out 57 years of sawdust can do!). I replaced the original v-belt and three of the four bearings; as soon as the gilmer belt arrives I can start putting the headstock back together. I have about a third of the parts painted and I will soon start removing the rust from the lower tubes. As soon as I get some pictures downloaded from my phone I will upload them.
Apr-30-2015: It’s been a little over two weeks since I posted anything about my Shopsmith restoration and I can honestly say I am nearing the home stretch. While reassembling the headstock I found a crack in the control sheave so once that arrives I can finally get the headstock back together. I happened to come across a Magna Bandsaw which is in pretty good condition for a 1956 but it still needs some TLC. I just ordered some blue urethane tires for it today which ought to quite things down since it is only running on one tire right now. I also started tearing down the Magna Jointer; lots of surface rust and I’m sure the bearings are shot since they are covered in sawdust that looks like its wicked all of the lubricant out of the bearings.