So, this is my first attempt at building some storage cabinets in my shop. I am definitely challenged for space like lots of us are. I have to start somewhere so, I figured I would build my first one to add on to the length of my workbench. The trick of course, was factoring in the heights of the wheels and the top of the cabinet and then matching it to the height of the workbench. I started by gathering all the scrap cuts of 2×4’s I could find scattered around the shop. Then I rounded up scrap cuts of birch plywood. I decided I had enough, so I built the case by cutting 1/2” dados into the 2×4’s to hold the birch panels, and screwed it all together…
The clamps at the bottom are holding dado stops that I cut and glued to hold all the panels. I figured it was easier than setting up a stop on the table saw.
I added some 3” wheels to the bottom so I could roll it around. The top is birch plywood treated with a few layers of tung oil. I figure if I need a portable work space, this might help in a pinch. I had to add blocks to the bottom for a screw area.
I figured that cutting the top to the same dimensions as the edges of the case, would allow me to put trim strips around the edges. You can’t tell in the photo but, that was not a good idea.It was too tight. I should have added an 1/8” all around. One of these days, I’ll make a new top and try to rectify that. However, the top matched up just right for the workbench! Even if it were off slightly, I can adjust the bench height anyways. I also made the dimensions the same from front to back.
I added a door that I used maple framing for. I dadoed to allow for the birch panel. I had a hard time with the hinges. I think I need to take a class on hinge installs. But I finally figured it out. If you look closely, you can see I ran out of length for the plywood and I had to install it sideways on the side. This whole project is a learning experience for me so, I learned to make sure I have enough materials and that orientation is important…lol… I opted for the eye hook to keep the door closed because once again, I can’t install hinges to save my life!
I now have storage for some of the stuff clogging up floor space in the shop. I don’t use some of this stuff often enough to leave out. I just put sticky notes inside the door to tell me what’s back there, instead of rummaging to see. So, Tung oil for the top. I haven’t decided how to treat the case. I may leave it as is until inspiration strikes. My next project will probably be a tall cabinet to hold a lot more stuff.
-- I'm tryin' to think, but nothin' happens!