Wow, what an afternoon yesterday. I’m finally getting to see things shape up when I was removing the masking tape. Then I get to the tape that was covering the PATENT sticker that I couldn’t remove… I’d had the masking tape on too long and when I was removing the tape, along came the sticker…
So naturally I was upset…very upset. It’s not like this little sticker would at all affect how my machine works but.. My Grandpa has two main hobbies, wood working and automobile restoration. I’ve had the great opportunity to completely restore a 1963 Buick Le Sabre sedan with him (which is now mine). During that process I learned how important keeping things original was to me and my Grandpa. I hadn’t realized how much that it affected me until I ripped off this little patent sticker. Who cares right? I care.
So I happened to be looking at OWWM site the other day thanks to DavidRoberts and stumbled across a patent sticker that someone had replicated on there computer. Identical. But the size and color was wrong. So I figured out the size I need it to be (37% of the original) and matched the color with my computer.
It may not be perfect but it’s darn close. Now I just have to figure out how to protect it as it is printed on 24# 100% cotton resume paper. I was thinking maybe clear coat the paper by it self and then figure out some sort of glue to attach it the the piece itself. Or glue it on, tape it off so only the new sticker is exposed and then coat it…probably the better option.
I put a few of the metal plates back on.
And took some more tape off of the adjustment wheels and switch cover.
And Then I felt something really really bugging me…I hadn’t touched the inside of the base and I knew if I left it the way it was it would always haunt me every time I used it or looked at it. So I flipped it upside down, took the motor out and started wire brushing (I thought I was done with that). The paint on the motor looks pretty good so I think I’ll just polish that up and leave it. But the rest of it needs to be cleaned up a bit and get some Rust-Oleum primer and at least one coat of paint. Speaking of the paint, the paint that was untouched on the inside is nearly identical to the kind I’m using so I’m pretty happy about that. So here are a couple of shots of the base inside and the motor removed.
I did hook up the motor while it was sitting on my bench and start it up to listen to it, it sounds GREAT, it just hummmms right along.
So I can breath easier knowing that I’ll be able to reference the patents whenever I need while in my shop, haha. A little more elbow grease, primer, paint, pulley adjustments, leveling, new bearings…wow, I have a lot left to do..
As always thanks for looking, any advise on adhesives to attach the new patent paper to the piece would be great. Have a good weekend LJ’s!
-- Grant - S/N Dakota