LumberJocks

Tablesaw Workstation #3: The base is rolling!

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Gingzillaman posted 04-22-2017 05:33 PM 380 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 2: Fence installation Part 3 of Tablesaw Workstation series no next part

This past week I have been able achieve a little progress on the table tablesaw workstation. I now have a rolling base that is ready for cabinets.

The base is welded up from “C” channel that I had left over from another project. My father was nice enough to weld me up the frame 2 weeks ago and bring it to a meeting point half way between us. This is going to be a beefy base but at least it will withstand just about anything that gets thrown at it like moving and the usual shop wear and tear. I laid out the casters to stagger the joint to ensure strength. The holes for the wood fillers were drilled and countersunk to make sure a smooth surface on the bottom of the base. You can see a close up in the following image where the frame is being primed for paint.

The wood fillers were attached in with 14×1 1/4 flat head wood screws and PL Premium adhesive. The wood fillers were pre-drilled with a slick center finder I made from a screw head and a piece of ply that can be seen in this image.

I ended up going to HD to dig for a couple decent 2×4’s. I did my best to find the best grain I could and was lucky as I found two that were straight and not twisted.
The 2×4’s were sized with a ten degree angle on each side and and rounded over with router bit to fit the inside curve of the “C” channel.

As you can see in the image above the wood fillers are nice and level but that was not how things originally came together. The end pieces were a little tall so I got out the router planer jig placed 4 squares of ply at the corners of the metal frame to stabilize and make sure it wouldn’t move. Then I setup up for a light shave off the top. All came out nice and level and twist free.

I was able to use some reclaimed plywood for the base top which is attached with brad nails and T2 glue.

The casters were purchased from Amazon and designed as a total lock. The price was right and they seem to fit the bill but only time will tell. I predrilled and attached them with 1/4×1 1/2 lag screws with a washer.

I plan to post again soon with updates on the cabinet construction. I have purchased 3 sheets of 23/32” Aracuply which will work just fine for the shells of the cabinets.

Hopefully this is a better post then the previous ones. I took some inspiration from a fellow member on the forum here by using text then picture, repeat. I hope to become more active and timely but right now there is too many irons in the fire and luckily I had some time today to make this post.

Thanks for following along.

-- Jeremy from Janesville, WI



0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com