LumberJocks

I'm building an Army #7: Now where was I?

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Gianni posted 02-07-2015 03:20 AM 1118 reads 0 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 6: The battlefield Part 7 of I'm building an Army series Part 8: Da box »

not much more in the way of progress, but I did get a few things done.

To put in the weights, I mixed up some 2-part epoxy and just goobered up the hole, then squished in the weight. I goobered over the top a little to make sure they were held in. To do the pieces in bulk, I nailed together a little sled holder thingamabobber (no critiques, scrap wood and a brief 1 time necessity, not a lifetime shop jig). This would hold 8 pieces at once, which allowed me to glue in the weights in 4 flights.

I wasn’t terribly picky or careful not to string the epoxy across the bottom. I figured I could take care of that after the fact and felt that more was better in this case, since it would be quite embarassing to have a weight come loose.

Once the epoxy had cured for a full day, I hot the bottoms with the belt sander on a relatively low speed. I grabbed a scrap piece and cut a right angle on it to keep the piece aligned, then clamped it to the little sanding table to use as a guide for the pieces.

As you can see, I started out using the cutting jig (again) to hold the pieces, but after a few I found it wasn’t needed and the base of the pieces themselves was enough to keep everything square and ride along the guide.

Once the bottoms were sanded flat, I needed to finish them. I chose to fill a small storage tub about an inch deep with danish oil and just soak the pieces for 15-20 seconds or so. Then zi would rotate them 180 and allow another half minute or so for them to soak up the finish. Once they’d been fully soaked, I would pull the piece and blast it with the air compressor nozzle to knock off some of the excess. Be sure to do this in front of a backer or shield, as it’s messy. No pics of that part because of sticky gloved hands.

Still need to glue felt onto the bottoms, but the pieces are now very close to done. On to the box.



2 comments so far

View AandCstyle's profile

AandCstyle

2566 posts in 1719 days


#1 posted 02-08-2015 12:48 AM

You are definitely in the home stretch now. The pieces look great.

-- Art

View Gianni's profile

Gianni

228 posts in 1436 days


#2 posted 02-08-2015 11:35 AM

Getting there! Going to add updates from yesterday now.

Looking at the pictures, I can see some darkening from the saw blade burning on the tight curves in the maple. It’s interesting that the camera flash shows these with such contrast; the burn marks aren’t nearly as stark as they appear in the photo (or at least I hadn’t noticed them as much).

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com