I finished painting the lifting nut assembly, and installed it.
Here’s a view of the entire parallelogram assembly.
And a view from under the infeed table.
I was originally going to bring the cord out through the cabinet, but couldn’t come up with a good clean method that was easy. So I ran it up under the outfeed table, and needed a way to secure it.
I picked up a cord grip and scrap piece of aluminum angle. I had to use the CNC to make the hole big enough, as It was a lot neater than using a hole saw.
And mounted it under the outfeed table.
Now it’s nice and secure, and in a place where it hangs down naturally.
At this point, it was time to adjust the tables.
I used a piece of aluminum laminate to shim one side of the infeed table, as the back side was about .025” lower than the front side. This got it parallel to the cutterhead.
The center of the infeed table had a slight concave bow, so I shimmed that with some paper. The tables are pretty stiff, with 14 gauge stainless epoxied onto both faces, so I actually needed thicker shims than the actual deflection, as there’s a little flex in the parallelogram assembly when trying to straighten the table.
I got it as flat as I could with my 4ft level, which is not entirely straight, as the two edges are slightly different, by about .003”.
Once I called the infeed side good, I set it even with the cutterhead, and adjusted the outfeed table to match. Again, a bit tricky with a 4ft level, especially since the jointer is 6ft long.
Once the table was tightened down, I fired it up and made some cuts. No trouble at all taking 1/16” cuts, and the dust collection worked great.
Here’s a short video I did last night:
This is the part of most projects where I really struggle…. finishing them.
I really need a fence, in order to get edged perpendicular to the faces. I also noticed that the Shelix head slightly pushes the boards towards the back while jointing, and the fence would be nice to steady them.
I thought of a novel idea that I hadn’t seen before, and will play around with the CAD model to get a better idea of if it will work.
The jointer right now is about 16” wide. If I made a fence that could reach to the front of the table, it would add at least another 12-15” to the width. I don’t have 30” of space.
The nice thing about the Shelix head, is that I can do my edge jointing in the same place on the cutter, without worrying about knives wearing out in one spot. If they wear, I can simply rotate the knives. With that in mind, I’m thinking of a fixed fence at the back edge of the cutterhead, mounted to the frame of the jointer. This would only take up about 1-1/2”-2” of space, and give me a more rigid fence.
I also need a guard. I’ve played around with the design a bit, but need to spend a bit more time on it. I’ll work on the design for the guard after the fence design is finalized.
I wouldn’t be surprised if it takes me a few more months to get these last few things ready. Right now I have a usable jointer, which I didn’t have a few months ago.
I probably will need to adjust the tables again to get them a little straighter, but I need to joint some longer stock to see what kind of flatness I’m getting.
Overall, I’m extremely pleased with how this has turned out. I had quite a few concerns before I started, but in the end, everything turned out very well.
Here are two more pics of it’s current state: