While it’s been a while since I last posted, I’m still working on this a couple days a week. Painting takes a lot of time.
All the baltic birch plywood gets a coat of epoxy on the edges to seal them. This keeps the paint from soaking into the end grain, and lets you get away with 2 coats from the rattle can.
I’ve been painting most of the small parts for the last few weeks. It’s really a week long process.
Seal edges with epoxy, led cure for 2 days before painting.
Sand epoxy. paint back side.
Next day, paint front side.
Next day, lightly sand, and finish coat back side.
Next day, finish coat face.
Cutting the parts that fit between the rods and stabilized them was a little tricky, as they needed to be a pretty tight fit. Actually, assembling them was even trickier, as they were pretty tight.
The most difficult part to assemble was the panel on the bottom. The table raising screw will mount to this panel. It was probably a little tight, and after painting, it was even tighter. I had to make some clamping blocks to pull the rods together, and had to chuck the rods in my drill and spin them to get them to slide through all the holes. And while doing this, the entire assembly wants to spin around as the rod is spinning. But I got it together. I used some nylon washers between all the sliding parts, to keep them from rubbing. Not really needed, but they look like they belong there. :-)
Then another pic showing the assembly resting in the frame. The frame has a brushed on coat of hammered silver as a primer. Hammered paint is a lot thicker in quart cans than spray cans, so I used it to seal everything up. I’m letting it dry for a week or so before sanding and spraying on the top coats. I’m trying to get as nice of a finish as I can, so I’m filling all the little spots that will be visible. The inside is kinda hard to get too, so I’m not worried too much about that.
I’m hoping to have the frame painted by the end of the week. The tables are partially painted, but I’ll try to squeeze those in too.
The base needs an epoxy seal coat before I can paint it. I made th4e access door and have the first coat of paint on that. I’ll probably seal it this week some time so that I can maybe paint it next week.
I also made the belt guard this week.
The sides are 2 layers of MDF cut on the CNC, with 1/4” MDF for the face. I had a small mishap on the CNC, so I ended up cutting a 1/4” rabbet on each side of the guard, and added 1/4” MDF side panels. This limited the MDF endgrain to just the rounded bottom. I sealed the entire guard inside and out with epoxy, which then makes painting the edges of MDF very easy.