I had to make an unexpected 2500 mile trip last week, so wasn’t able to do anything. Still feeling the jet lag, I wasn’t really up to doing anything this weekend, so all I did was wire up the motor, and permanently attach the motor mount.
Here’s a few pics.
I didn’t want to wire up the switch and have to pull everything back apart for paint, so I wired the cord to the motor, and just put a plug on the other end for testing. Luckily, I wired it right the first try so it spun in the correct direction. I was a little concerned with that cutterhead out in the open, but it actually runs pretty smoothly.
One minor issue is with the pulley on the motor. It’s only held on by two clamp on collars, with the keyway keeping it from spinning. The problem is that the bore in the pulley is a little loose, so it makes a minor rattle when it’s running. I’ll see if I can get some shim material in there to tighten up, or maybe some loctite bearing retaining compound. My one concern with that is if the pulley fails (it’s plastic with a steel hub), it might be a mess to clean up.
I’ve spent a lot of time looking for better pulleys, but all I can find are $80 aluminum power steering pulleys. Hopefully I can shim the plastic one, and it’ll last a long time.
Here’s a short video showing the motor running.
Today I ordered the stainless steel for the tables. I was able to find a pretty good deal on Ebay. 4 pieces cut to size, 14 gauge stainless for $90 delivered. I was going to pay almost that much for regular steel.
Next weekend I’ll be laminating the tables from 1/2” baltic birch in my vacuum press. It was way to cold in the garage this weekend for the epoxy to cure, being around -5° at night. Next weekend, it’s supposed to be close to 50°. Much better.