LumberJocks

Home Built 13" Jointer #4: Base Cabinet

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Ger21 posted 02-01-2016 03:41 AM 922 reads 1 time favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 3: Frame Rails with Cutterhed Mounts Installed Part 4 of Home Built 13" Jointer series Part 5: Motor Mount »

As with most of my projects, this is going to take much longer than I thought.
I started the base by cutting the front and back panels on my CNC router. They’re not square, and they had odd shaped cutouts, so this was the best method. I even drilled holes to accept t-nuts to mount the blade guard.

The side panels were cut on the table saw, and then I used the CNC for the cutout for the dust hose.
I wanted a chamfer on the outside corners, which didn’t leave much room to screw the base together, so I cut a 1/8” x 3/4” rabbet on both sides of the front and back panels, to accept the side panels, and glued the four base panels together. Once I get the motor mount installed, I’ll go back and add some corner reinforcement to the insides.

Dust collection is a bit tricky, due to limited space. I looked at plastic dust fittings for a few hours, and decided on this one. Rather than build a duct that extended down into the base, the fitting will mount into the upper frame. The hose will attach inside the base, and exit through a hole in the side.

Next step was to fabricate the “Feet” and their reinforcements. The leveling feet will be hockey pucks attached to carriage bolts, and mount in t-nuts that are encased in the feet on each end. I used the CNC to router the pocket for the hockey pucks and t-nuts. I inserted the t-nuts, and then glued the two halves together , then trimmed to clean them up.

For the supports, I glued up the baltic birch first, then cut them to shape. Lots of angles. I cut the first one wrong, so I glues it back together and re-cut it. Fortunately, I hadn’t cut it to length yet, so it worked out fine.

All these parts get a chamfered edge, which I do on the table saw. This is an excellent way to cut chamfers, if you have a right tilt saw. With a sharp blade, it’s fast, and you get really nice, crisp chamfers. It’s very safe, too, because very little of the blade is exposed.

I clamp a piece of scrap MDF to the fence, then tilt the blade 45°, and raise it into the sacrificial fence. I draw a line where I want the blade to end up, and then move the fence to sneak up on the line.

For longer parts, I just slide them along the fence. For some of the smaller edges, I used the miter gauge, set at various angles.

I then ended up with these.

To mount the frame to the base, I used some of the scrap LVL material to make some top rails, and glued and screwed them into the base.

The end result is a mostly finished base cabinet. Not really a cabinet, though, as there’s no bottom.

-- Gerry, http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/index.html http://www.jointcam.com



0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com