I started working on the frame on Saturday.
I’ve never used LVL’s before, and was expecting a more finished product than I received. But a few passes through the planer and they cleaned up pretty nicely. I used a straightedge and flush trim bit in the router to get one straight edge, then ripped to width on the table saw.
I rough cut the tapered edges on the bandsaw, and cleaned them up with a straightedge and router.
There are some notches in the rails for wrench clearance on the outfeed table mounts. I rough cut these with a table saw sled, and finished with a router and template.
Once the frame rails were cut and machined to size, I drilled the mounting holes for the steel mounting plates, and epoxied them in place. Each plate is held in place with six 3” long 1/4-20 screws. 1/4-20 screws will screw into 3/16” holes in wood without the need to tap them. These actually hold incredibly well just being screwed into the wood. But for a permanent bond, the 3/16” holes were counterbored 1” deep to 5/16”.
I first coated the holes with thin epoxy, and ran the screws in and out to get it down into the threaded portion. I then added West System high density filler, and filled the counterbores with the thickened epoxy. The epoxy penetrates into the end grain, and the larger diameter plug around the screw really anchors everything in place. No way these will ever come out.
Before the epoxy cured, I inserted some oiled screws into the threaded holes to keep them clear of epoxy.
After the epoxy cured, I checked to make sure everything bolted into place properly.
The new pulley and belt are much wider than the stock pulley. However, the hub is much thinner. I bought some 1/8” aluminum washers to take up the space left by the smaller hub. I needed one washer behind the pulley, and four under the nut. I hand filed the keyway into the pulley and one of the washers.
With the rails ready for the cutterhead, I pressed on the bearings, and bolted the cutterhead in place.
I routed a pair of dadoes in the side rails to accept a baltic birch panel that will direct the chips into a dust chute. There will be a 3 piece deflector panel on the other side. Here’s a CAD image that shows the internals.
Once the cutterhead was in place, I was able to measure and cut the crossmembers for the ends of the rails. I thought I was cutting them 1/16” long to start, but they ended up about 1/32 short. :-( They’ll be glued and screwed in place, so I’ll shim them with some veneer scraps.
A few more pics of the installed cutterhead.
This weekend, I hope to start building the base, but I’m probably going to make some small changes before I start.