I used the end of a broomstick for the two headlamps. I didn’t have a 20 mm dowel and I did not want to fire up the lathe to turn a such a short 20mm spindle and also the broomstick was just the right diameter and it was only a very short piece that was needed. The headlamps will be attached to the engine block with dowels.
I also used two washers and attached them with screws to make the headlamps a bit more interesting
With the mudguards I reverted back to my original plan. While drawing the original sketchup plan I was concerned about the strength of the mudguards as there would be short grain on the roundings which might cause a weak spot. I then drew up an alternative plan changing the mudguards so that they would be made up of different straight grained pieces. After thinking this through again when I started making them, I came to the conclusion that the changed mudguards would in actual fact be weaker than the rounded ones due the the joints in the design.
I used a piece of teak from the scrap bin and positioned the layout in such a way to minimise the amount of short grain on the roundings. They seem to be quite strong.
I printed the mudguards and pasted the pattern to the wood and then I used my bandsaw to cut them out.
I used my homemade spindle sanders to finish the mudguards
-- There are some things that money can't buy - Manners, morals and integrity