Making the wheels was a bit of a head scratcher. Since I have a lathe I thought about turning the wheels on the lathe. I had a problem however, because I don’t have a chuck for the lathe and I wanted to do some face turning on the wheels just to make them a bit more interesting.
I thought about making a homemade chuck and seeked some advise in the Woodturning forum. I again experienced the brotherhood of LJ’s with quite a bit of good advise. In the end I decided to leave the lathe for another project and attack the problem from another angle and the idea for the Drill Powered Toy Wheel making Lathe was born.
I made two test wheels to see if it would work.
It worked quite well
I cut the wheel blanks with a hole saw and then mounted them to Toy making lathe with a nut and bolt.
I am quite happy with the results.
Test fit to the chassis
I plan to use a wedge in the axle to secure the wheels
The wheels after painting
-- There are some things that money can't buy - Manners, morals and integrity