You can never have enough clamps, right?
I have an odd assortment of bar clamps, including some homemade clamps I made from 25mm (1 Inch) square tubing and a few wooden clamps that work with wedges. I also have some cheap pipe clamps of which the back jaw keeps on slipping under the clamping pressure.
The other day I stumbled across this YouTube video i.r.o. homemade heavy duty wooden bar clamps.
I drew some plans to get started
And so the journey begins.
I started by cutting the bars from some pine I have had for many years.
There was enough for four clamps plus an old door post for two more
The first four is from what we call SA Pine and the last two from the door post is Origan Pine.
Note the finer grain pattern on the Origan Pine.
I will need to do some repair work on the hinge holes from the door post.
Update the repair
Then I cut the blocks for the front jaw from some SA Teak that I also have had for many years.
In the following photos that show how the front jaw goes together, the holes for the dowels had not been drilled yet.
The whasers will help prevent the wear from nut on the front end.
I still need to decide how to secure the front nut to the threaded rod. I don’t trust the long lasting qualities of epoxy inside the block which will not be able to be opened once it is glued together. I don’t want to use two nuts locked together either as this will leave the front wall of the jaw to thin to my liking. I am thinking about a solder process and a pin through the nut. I will update this blog on what I come up with.
The next step will be the screw post and then the back jaw.
-- There are some things that money can't buy - Manners, morals and integrity