LumberJocks

A Dump Truck Adventure #3: The engine and radiator Part 2 & a diversion

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by George_SA posted 01-06-2018 06:53 PM 1813 reads 0 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 2: The engine and radiator Part 1 Part 3 of A Dump Truck Adventure series Part 4: The engine and radiator Part 3 »

Now to cut out the center of the radiator to make a hole for the grill.

That necessitated a diversion as I don’t have a scroll saw and the part is too small to use the jigsaw in the normal manner.

First Idea – quick and dirty jigsaw table.

NOPE! NOT A GOOD IDEA! That will result in some shorter fingers! Next plan. Make a jig saw table similar to some ideas I saw on YouTube.



After I did a test cut, I realized this is also a DANGEROUS machine!!!!!!
Fortunately my jigsaw has a speed control and after adjusting to its lowest speed it became better.
But you still need to hold whatever you are cutting VERY tightly!

I don’t recommend making one of these! Therefore no links to plans.
Building a scroll saw has shifted up on the priority list. My SketchUp plans for a scroll saw available over here.

But for now, I used the dangerous machine and fortunately I still have all my fingers.
Plan of action for future use (I don’t plan on using this very much. Just to finish this truck) – Make sure the template is on a LARGE piece of wood and first make the cut outs before cutting the piece to size.
OR a Better plan. Buy a hand scroll saw.

After cutting out the center hole in the radiator,

another quick plan for sanding the sides smooth


A test fit

It took three attempts to get a good fit

The grill was sanded down to 5mm (Radiator = 6mm thick)

Ready to glue the engine and radiator together.

A tricky glue up as the radiator must fit just right on the engine as there is no margin to sand down later.
Note to self. In future make the part a bit oversize and sand down to final size after glue up.

I read on one of the forums the recommendation to use salt as that would prevent the parts from shiffting

It didn’t work! The salt only dried out the glue and I had to add more glue

Finely after A LOT of clamping and reclamping (the torque from the clamps keeps on shifting the glued up parts. )Normally that small amount of shift wouldn’t matter too much as you can just sand them smooth. But as I said these part are already on final size.

Eventualy I realized: STOP putting too much clamp force on the work piece!
I still need to figure out how to stop glue up pieces sliding around on the glue.

To be continued.

-- There are some things that money can't buy - Manners, morals and integrity



1 comment so far

View Dutchy's profile

Dutchy

2683 posts in 2038 days


#1 posted 01-07-2018 08:23 AM

Nice to see another builders blog.

-- https://dutchypatterns.com/

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com