Well after a few days of not doing anything I got back in the shop today and did some clean up work. After that I started working on the leaded glass doors that I will be using in the side cabinets that will fit up next to the Murphy Bed I just finished.
My first thought was to run the doors thru my 16-32 drum sander but after studying on that for a while I decided that since these doors are to our best guess around 100 yrs old it would not be good to take any chance of bumping or stressing the doors and breaking the glass.
I removed the knobs, spring latches, and hinges making sure I marked the hinges so that they go back in the original locations. As for the knobs and latches I will more than likely use new ones to match the hardware on the drawers and Murphy Bed.
I did check and these doors are very flat and have no warp in them so I got out the ROS and started at 100 grit and began to remove the finish. For the profile I used a combination of card scraper, mouse sander and sanding sponges.
After three or four hours I had the doors down to bare wood and looking like they were just made with the exception of the leaded glass.
I will set them aside and tomorrow start cutting the main parts of the cabinets.
-- Gene Miller - it only took me 3 days 9 hours and 28 minutes to get that top flat!